Oh, my God. I'm not dead.
So, the past week has given me much insight into my Self and how I work. For starters, giving up bread and dairy has been a win. Though I'm usually not much into meat, I have been giving in to my fast-food chicken cravings for quite some time now. It's been nearly a month since I last had chicken.
Still, I have a long way to go. I need to incorporate more greens into my day. Bonus if I can get my butt out to the Farm to get some really fresh from the dirt. After much deliberation, I decided it would be in my best interest to include wild salmon and organic eggs in my diet. I suffered with headaches and fatigue for most of last week, and, being an overtime mommy, I reckoned with the fact that I needed some healthy form of protein in my diet to stay strong and robust for myself and my babies. I immediately felt strength coming back into my bones as I savored a piece of salmon on Friday. The three days I went without fish or eggs were pretty rough. I tried to rest a lot, but it's kind of impossible with little people around. Still, I see it as a victory and not a defeat- I have discovered something about myself, and turned an unhealthy choice into a nourishing one. Win.
Another thing I've realized is that completing a full yoga practice at home is just not going to happen. I did manage to get up early and meditate, so I'm continuing that into this week and building on it. As for yoga, doing a kids workout (usually 2 or 3, really) is something that is doable, and I modify as I go along. Also sneaking in a few crunches when the kids are in a bath or in the middle of a really good fight works, too. I do a down dog at pretty much every opportunity, and seated twists many, many times a day. Still, I'm craving a "real" practice, so hopefully I'll get the chance to see my friends at the Savannah Yoga Barre sometime this week and get my asana kicked alongside a healthy helping of humble pie. Lynne and Kendall know how to get you to that place.
I think some of the best growth for me so far has been acceptance. You see, normally I go into these kinds of situations with this overblown idea that I'm going to have a life-changing experience. All I have to do is do everything I do completely differently. We all know how that goes. Maybe it's having these lovable, forgiving, demanding, inspiring little people around me all day everyday that convinced me to go a little easy on myself. Make small changes, take stock of how I feel, and beyond all my ideas and ideals, just have a good time doing it. Whoa, man is that a game changer.
You mean, liking my jelly belly, procrastinating, creative, loving, meandering, dancing, goofy self is okay?
Not only is it okay, it's an imperative.
No comments:
Post a Comment