Thursday, July 31, 2014

Day Two

So, why 40 days?  I did Baron Baptiste's 40 Days to a Personal Revolution program a few years ago with my husband and our (then) yoga co-op.  It was a challenge, a blast, and a success.  Out of 40 students at the starting line, only 12 finished- including us.  I made some great friends during that time, grew closer to my partner, and got to know myself a little better.

This time around, I have 2 kids in tow.  Two little kids.  It's absolutely impossible for me to get out of bed at any time of night without my 2 year old sensing my solitude and come wailing like a banshee out into the darkness calling my name.  I decided I would need to do something I could incorporate into my daily routine with the kids, or at best, be able to steal away and do on my own while they watch a movie or nap nearby.  Since I was already familiar with this program, I decided it was the best approach for me.

My little gurus worshipping at the Temple of Oversharing.
(okay, we were doing Cosmic Kids Yoga…  don't judge me.  Yoga is yoga.)
I also appreciate the book's sensible approach to food mindfulness, laid out in a weekly format.  The yoga practice is a basic one, which I also appreciate.  Don't get me wrong- I love challenging poses.  But I thought I'd be more likely to stick with this program if I went a bit easy on myself.

Nowhere in the course of this 40 days is it recommended to go vegan and gluten-free, except in the 6th week where there is a 3-day fruit fast.  Baron takes you gradually into it, eliminating first packaged and fast foods, then empty foods, meat and cheese…  well, you get the idea.  I decided to get a jump on this by going vegan and gluten free for a few reasons.  First, so that when I get to the fruit cleanse, it won't be such a shock, having been cleansing gently for the first 5 weeks.  Second, this is the time of year where I naturally eat less, especially rich food like bread and cheese.  Third, I knew that I could go vegan and gluten free earlier this year when I found myself switching out a lot of my choices for "clean" substitutes.  So, basically, I've been slowly laying the groundwork for this since January.

In the spirit of going easy on myself, there's a few allowances I'm giving to myself throughout all of this.  You see, I am a nursing mother.  That requires quite a caloric output, and quite frankly, just the amount of touching throughout a normal day is enough to send me running into the candy store for solace.  Earlier this year, I "invented" the deconstructed candy bar-  I get myself a big jar of Maranatha No-Stir Almond Butter (crunchy), and pour into it as many Enjoy Life Allergy Free Chocolate Chips I can fit.  I also add in more roasted almonds, sometimes some dates or raisins.  It's like a candy bar on a spoon, and rather than eat a whole bar (which I would totally do), I just have a couple of bites.  Plus, everything in it is a naturally occurring food.  I get my fix and don't feel bad about it.

There's also the Moon Time to consider.  It's coming up soon, as evidenced by my hardcore carb cravings.  Thank heavens for gluten-free pasta!  Also, I feel my quarterly potato craving coming on…  roasted garlic olive oil mashed potatoes are definitely in my near future.

He always STARTS with pants...
When I can, I'll try to share recipes that delight me.  Except for a few go-to favorites, I tend to be a very experimental cook.  Yesterdays meal began as a simple spinach salad.  Before I knew it, things were being sautéed, onions were being caramelized…  well you get the picture.

I'm also making a little room in my week for some naughty treats- my favorite Starbucks drink- Chai Soy Latte (because for the life of me I can't recreate this at home),  the occasional french fry, and Jalapeño Kettle Chips.  Yum!  Deprivation doesn't do anyone any good.  If I give myself a break by finding foods that fit the bill but still check the naughty list, I suppose I'm staying in touch with my dark side.  :)  It's important to accept oneself as we are.

I'm toying with the idea of including Wild Caught Alaskan Salmon into my diet once a week.  So far, I'm feeling pretty satisfied with the plant foods, but I also know that salmon leaves me feeling so energized and healthy.  We'll see what the body needs as we go along.




Pronoia- the sneaky suspicion that the Universe is conspiring to shower you with blessings.


No comments:

Post a Comment